Asphalt shingles remain one of the most popular roofing materials available today in Seattle, comprising as much as 80% of all residential roofs. Since its debut in the late 19th century, advancements and improvements in manufacturing methods have made this roofing material one of the most cost-effective options for your home.
In this series, Sharp Roofing presents everything you need to know about asphalt shingles, from their features to their benefits.
- Asphalt shingles come in two types: organic and fiberglass. Organic shingles have a base of paper saturated with asphalt, which makes them waterproof. Fiberglass, on the other hand, has a fiber reinforcing mat coated with asphalt. This type of asphalt shingle is more fire-resistant than organic shingles.
- They also come in three profiles for added appeal: three-tab, laminated or architectural, and premium.
- They can easily match any architectural style because they come in a wide range of colors.
- They are lightweight, which makes them ideal for low- to steep-sloped roofing.
- Their weight also makes installation easier for a roofing contractor in Seattle, WA.
- They can be manufactured to look like slate or wood shingles.
- Repair or replacement is easy.
- Asphalt shingles have excellent fire and wind resistance.
- With maintenance and proper installation, asphalt roofing can last up to 30 years or longer.
- At the end of their service life, asphalt shingles can be completely recycled to create road maintenance products or other roofing materials.
- Manufacturers such as GAF and CertainTeed offer energy-efficient asphalt roofing for more savings in terms of energy consumption.
Only a certified roofing contractor in Seattle, WA can install and repair quality asphalt roofing from top manufacturers in the industry. Sharp Roofing is proud to carry products from CertainTeed, GAF, Owens Corning, IKO, PABCO® Roofing Products, and other manufacturing companies. We have been helping homeowners around Washington since 1999, delivering superior value to any project.